The river & suspended sediments flows
with rapid velocity around me—
adapted to hang onto rocks, I’m clinging,
resilient, and resisting its violent currents.
Internal solidarity binds me to this spinning spheroid,
suspended in a sea of octopus ink.
Cling so I don’t sink, I’ve grasped and grappled for 365°,
At once, I’ve both fought gravity’s pull into
the cliffed craters of isolated desert death,
and allowed gravity to keep me tethered here.
Didn’t drift away or let myself burn up.
I wanted to drift away but resisted the black veil
that would poison & blind me, perhaps comfortably,
or sweep me along & tear off all my hanging phalanges
by the hungry force of ripping friction.
I’ve desperately wanted to spontaneously combust
but this Soft Soul is a solid core, self-heating,
nonreactive to outside forces,
and it won’t explode, won’t burn me up
when I beg or demand. It’s the rock I cling to
that I can’t let go of because, damn it, this is just
what I was born & adapted to do.
Written 7 November 2013
No comments:
Post a Comment