02 January 2021

Allegory of the Locksmith


365 days around the sun

365 ways I must’ve won

against the Demon telling me to die

each One Day At A Time.

Through the doubt I’ve made keys

each day that I’d use to get me

through the barrage of horrifying thoughts

through the wars I’ve previously fought

cause it’s the same shit but a different day

so every ODAAT I have to find a new way

cause my brain shifts every night when I sleep

and the Demon gets stronger and it builds a new lock

so I have to work fast to cut a new key to keep

my power in my corner and my mind off the Demon.

She says I want to die and she says there’s no reason

to live, anyway, and my family doesn’t care

if I die anyway, I’ll be out of their hair

I’m a burden & a curse & her voice sounds like distortion

even my mom wishes her mom had an abortion

and I’ve wished she did too, still regretted my three.

I sent my angels to live in purgatory.

But this Earth is Hell and I couldn’t find the key

the demon held those days, cause I was locked on the drink.

I got the key when I became willing

to lose anyone and do anything just to follow a rule

mom tried to make for me when I was young.

I broke and broke it until it broke me.

But the Demon didn’t die, it just relinquished the key.

Now it changes the locks every fucking day on me.

So I’ve gotta stay here right now for today

and some fucking how I’ve gotta find a way

not to pull the trigger on this 9-millimeter.

Whatever gets me through the night’s alright if I follow the Rule.

I keep cutting new keys and each day feels so cruel

every time I hear his handheld radio squeal,

“No one is coming.

There is no rescue.”

So I take out my tools and try to find a fresh cue.

The one that is going to get me through.

I cut a new key to open this new lock.

There’s none in the store & none in stock.

I can’t do it alone or lean too much on my friends.

I’ve gotta do me alone and that’s just the way it is.

As boring as it sounds, it’s better than the abyss.

Click here to listen to me reading this on Soundcloud

No comments:

Post a Comment